The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Purchasing and Planning Manager opportunity, you will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain, Management or other related disciplines.
- A least 5 years of progressive experience in the management of materials, procurement, and planning within a design and manufacturing environment.
- 3 years of employee / team management experience.
- Experience in developing a Sales and Operations Planning program with previous employers.
- Experience in importing from several countries around the world; proven negotiating skills.
- Working knowledge and understanding of ERP/MRP systems and their use in a manufacturing environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows and all Microsoft Office applications, including excellent Microsoft Excel skills for spreadsheets and analytics.
- Third-party certified ERP, CPIM, or CSCP (APICS) highly preferred.
- Experience in Lean, six sigma, or other similar environments preferred.
- Bilingual with English/Spanish or English/Mandarin is a plus.
- Ability to build, develop and manage a skilled team.
- Integrity, credibility, honesty, and unwavering commitment to California Faucets ongoing growth and profitability.
- Exceptional intellectual horsepower; ability to understand complex problems and processes quickly.
- Ability to act as a team player, openly and cooperatively working with all company departments and managers.
- Strong leadership skills including leading by example, motivating others, and creating a challenging, empowering, and collaborative working environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills in English.
- A sense of urgency and efficiency in all tasks.
- Excellent time management skills; ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy; must be able to recognize and resolve discrepancies.
- Excellent analytical problem-solving ability.
- Ability to leverage metrics and other tools to drive supplier performance.
- Ability to thrive within the constraints of multiple priorities in a fast-paced working environment, where adaptability and flexibility in response to demand fluctuations are critical.
The RoleOpportunity Overview
Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, as Purchasing and Planning Manager, you will be responsible for managing material procurement from suppliers around the world, and for sales and operations planning (S&OP) for our factory. Your primary duties will include sourcing, procurement, planning, cost, scheduling, and forecasting to ensure that customer orders are fulfilled on time, as well as the development and management of supplier relationships. To help with your efforts, you will lead a team of three purchasing agents who will report directly to you.
Upon joining us, you will learn our business, processes and your team. Once you understand what's in place, you'll be able to identify any gaps in sales and operations planning, as well as areas where stronger forecasting will add value and more. You will take full ownership of purchasing and planning, particularly in areas where you can add value. You will find there is a lot of opportunity for increased efficiencies.
Specifically, you will:
- Oversee the procurement and production planning functions of the organization to increase inventory turns, minimize operating expenses, maximize product quality, and meet aggressive customer on-time delivery requirements.
- Oversee the execution of the forecast process for new and existing products to minimize lead time and maximize customer on-time delivery.
- Develop a robust Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) program involving C-suite. This will include, but not be limited to performing analysis of customer demand, customer sales forecasts, and historical material usage to develop and execute purchasing plans.
- Ensure Planners and Buyers investigate cause of critical material shortages, schedule delays and initiate actions to correct these problems.
- Oversee the daily activities of the Procurement team, reviewing and approving purchase orders, requests for parts, and MRO requirements.
- Provide reports to sales and management for new product orders, production build schedules, and exceptions to standard schedules.
- Negotiate with vendors, develop supply contracts, and ensure that the company obtains quality products and services.
- Develop and maintain Purchasing and Planning Department KPIs.
- Provide input to cross-functional business teams to develop the best economic strategy for sourcing material to support customer demand.
- Advise manufacturing and engineering concerning remedial action, part rework, or in-house stock fabrication to ensure work progresses on schedule.
- Identify, develop and manage effective relationships with existing and potential suppliers of goods and services to meet the established cost, quality and delivery targets.
- Establish, implement, and manage a system to evaluate, monitor, and report supplier scorecard performance.
- Keep current on industry trends including but not limited to the price of commodities used at the company.
- Adhere to established company policies, procedures, terms and conditions and legal matters that affect purchasing policies.
- Coordinate and work with engineering and manufacturing operations to ensure 100% on-time delivery by establishing and monitoring schedules to proactively identify and address any issues.
- Participate as a member of the operations team in making cross-functional operational decisions.
- Create and maintain a positive, collaborative relationship with the various stakeholders operating alongside the Procurement department, including Sales, Quality, Operations, Engineering and Finance.
- Review current purchase prices and compare to standard prices; provide regular guidance on required standard cost changes.
- Understand and maximize the usage of the procurement modules in ERP system.
- Attract, hire, train, set goals, hold reviews, and establish accountability for planning and procurement department resources.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by implementing, maintaining and aligning company policies that adhere to local, state and federal environmental, health and safety regulations.
More Good ReasonsImpact now and later
We have created a culture of continuous improvement and implemented changes. At the same time, we re-engineered this role to put greater focus on planning and supplier expansion. You should be able to score some early victories and then build on the momentum moving forward.
Pride in the products
Our employees take great pride in delivering products to uniquely high quality standards. We sell primarily through plumbing showrooms and specifiers such as architects and contractors, and offer both stock and highly customizable products. That makes our supply chain, as well as our manufacturing environment a bit more complex than most, but we don't believe in mass produced.
A culture of "Yes"
If we had to describe our company culture in one word it would be "yes." "Yes" to allowing customers to mix and match any handle with any spout in any finish. "Yes" to quick delivery. And, most importantly, "Yes" to unparalleled customer service. You'll help us ensure that we maintain the culture that makes "Yes" possible. In the spirit of "Yes", your great ideas will be warmly welcomed.
We're constantly developing new and unique designs for our discriminating clientele. We've won several awards over the years, including several Best of Year (from Interior Design magazine), Design Plus (from Messe Frankfurt and the German Design Council), Good Design (from the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design), Product Design Award (from iF International Forum Design GmbH), and others.
If you immediately think "dingy and dirty" when you hear "manufacturing," we are looking forward to surprising you -- our environment is clean and bright. We're convenient to both the 405 and 22 freeways and are just a few blocks from the picturesque Seal Beach National Wildlife Refuge. It's an industrial area, but there are amenities nearby for coffee or a sandwich. And if you need to get your surfboard waxed, you're definitely in the right place!
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a strong benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance that's 100% employer-paid for employees, vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with company match, a profit sharing plan, paid time off, and more.
Video: California Faucet's Senior Vice President of Marketing and Sales, Noah Taft, speaks to House Tipster at the 2018 ICFF (International Contemporary Furniture Fair), about all things California Faucets. Christopher Grubb of Arch-Interiors Design Group, Inc., Inc. got the latest on our #MadeInCalifornia plumbing products and special decorative drains including the award-winning #ZeroDrain.
Keys to SuccessThis is a role where we understand there will be a learning curve. It might take you six months to get your arms around the supply chain, and get to know Manufacturing, Sales and other functions. Only then can you build your strategy, and post-strategy, it will take a while to deliver measurable change. But ultimately, measurable change in speed, efficiency, and cost, without sacrificing quality, will be your goal.
To excel in the role of Purchasing and Planning Manager, you will bring the drive to learn along with strong analytical and problem-solving skills to understand how all the parts work together to begin to formulate ideas for improvement. We have a culture of continuous improvement, so throughout your time with California Faucets, you'll continue to look for ways to increase information, streamline performance and deliver improvements. In addition, you'll bring professionalism, including strong communication and interpersonal skills, to lead your team and work with stakeholders from the manufacturing floor to the C-suite.
Video: California Faucets has a long history of bringing innovative products to market. Highlighted here is StyleDrain®, designed to accept custom tile or stone to seamlessly match the rest of the shower. When we released it in 2013, StyleDrain earned the "Innovative Accessory Product of the Year" award from the Decorative Plumbing & Hardware Association as well as the "Best of the Year" award from Interior Design.